In the 1920’s the first publically funded high school in Buchanan County was constructed. From these simple beginnings, secondary education spread throughout the county. Grundy High School was founded in 1924. The original structure was located on the current site of the Grundy Town Center Project.
Following a fire in the mid-1930’s that destroyed the building, a new home for Grundy High School was constructed in 1939. This building was located in the town of Grundy. This structure would be Grundy High School’s home until 1963 when rapid population growth created by an economic explosion as a result of the coal industry led to the need for a larger building. The current home of the Grundy High School was constructed in the Bend of Slate Creek. After the opening of the current building, a Junior/Senior High arrangement was used. The former building in town became the Junior High serving grades 8 and 9, while the new building became known as the Senior High serving grades 10-12.Throughout the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s, Grundy Senior High consistently graduated classes in excess of 200 students. When the coal based economy began to falter in the late 1980’s and 1990’s, the Senior/Junior High arrangement was no longer needed.
At the end of the 1994-1995 school year, Grundy Junior High was closed. With this development, the current Grundy High School was born. With the beginning of the 1995-1996 school year, the 1963 facility once more became known as Grundy High School Serving grades 9-12. The Junior High building was remodeled and converted to a new home for the Appalachian School of Law. Though enrollment has continued to fall as the population and economic fortunes of the county decline, Grundy High School has continued its tradition of excellence. In 2012, Grundy High School was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School.